Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 4 14 8:42 PM

Tags : :

Some time ago, in a discussion about Jaguar vs. Gorilla, I post data about the size of this large primate, the largest of our days. Sadly, the entire topic was lost and the data within. Now, I will put them here again. smiley: smile

This topic is dedicated not only for the gorillas, but also for any other primates. You can post your data here.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 4 14 8:43 PM

The body mass of the Gorilla

How many times we have heard of wild gorillas weighing up to 272 kg or even 350 kg? These figures are even quoted in “Walker’s Mammals of the World”, which is still considered as the main database for mammals. But, are these figures reliable? The answer is NO.

Check this figures, they state that the heaviest wild gorilla was a male of 219 kg. However, other sources state a new weight of 220 kg for a silverback captured recently. Even then, other two sources claim that the heaviest was one of 210 kg. Read the data and judge by yourselves.

Up to 219 kg:

Up to 220 kg:

Up to 210 kg:

One of 204 kg, not claimed as “heaviest”, but still interesting:

Average figures – real wild specimens, no estimations:

In conclusion, the body masses of up to 230 kg are from captive specimens or from unreliable sources, the upper figure is about 220 kg, but normally large silverbacks are no more than 180 kg.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 4 14 8:47 PM

The height of the Gorilla

About the height, this picture show a male of apparently 7 ft (213 cm) in height and about a quarter of tone (200 kg), however Guinness (first image of the topic) state that the tallest male reliably recorded was of 6 ft 5 in (195 cm).

Did you think that this gorilla is of over 200 cm in height???

Finally, here are the body measurements from scientific literature:

Based in all this data, I can conclude that the maximum size for an exceptional silverback gorilla is of up to 196 cm in standing height and 219 kg in body mass. However, an average male (including “black” backs) is around 150-170 kg and a height of about 170 cm, which is the about the same height than an average human (Homo sapiens sapiens), although much more massive.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 5 14 1:16 AM

Largest Gorilla ever

Here is an image comparison showing the size of the largest gorilla recorded:

The maximum weight that I choose is that of 219 kg, because I am not quite sure about the figure of 220 kg. About the shoulder height, 6 ft 5 in gives a result of 1956 mm which translates better to 196 cm (not 195), so I use that figure. Both figures are in the book of Animal records, so I quote it as reference.

Quote    Reply   

GrizzlyClaws

#5 [url]

Feb 5 14 1:26 AM

I guess the Pleistocene tigers might actually prey on Gigantopithecus.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Feb 5 14 3:06 AM

According with Wikipedia:

Dating methods have shown that G. blacki existed for at least a million years, going extinct about 100,000 years ago after having been contemporary with (anatomically) modern humans (Homo sapiens) for tens of thousands of years, and co-existing with H. erectus before the appearance of H. sapiens.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Interesting, about 100,000 years ago is also the date when the large Wanhsien tigers developed they largest form and also when they began they spread to the south and invaded the Sunda shelf.

So, it is possible that Pleistocene tigers of China do preyed on Gigantophitecus, although for its large size, I think that tigers hunted them only at the end of the existence of the great ape, just when tigers were enough larger to kill them.

It is curious that when large tigers existed, the giant primates disappeared. Check that also the large Meganthropus of Java disappeared. I am not saying that tigers killed all the large apes, of course not. However, is possible that some climate change affected the habitat of these two large animals, but at the end, tigers found it useful and even expanded them dominions, while the giant apes could not adapt to this new habitats.

Quote    Reply   

GrizzlyClaws

#7 [url]

Feb 5 14 4:56 AM

Gigantopithecus might be an interesting animal, although they are the close relative of the Orangutan, but i guess they are knuckle walkers like the modern gorilla.

When i saw the lower jaw, it is extremely robust built, so it is definitely an extremely powerful animal. It is even a great challenge even for the giant tiger to kill a such powerful beast.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 5 14 8:10 AM

New image of the largest gorilla species and the largest specimen

I made a few changes, add more information like the average size and here is the new image of the largest gorilla ever:

This is a better image because we can see which is the average size of this gorilla species in comparison with a 175 cm tall human, and in the back shadow we will see the largest size recorded.

If you like it, save it.

Greetings. smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 8 14 4:09 AM

Here are the pages about the records of gorillas in the book of Animal records of Guinness from Gerard Wood (1978):

Pages 55 and 58 are only pictures of animals. Enjoy them. smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help