Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 13 13 4:22 AM

Tags : :

Just wondering. A barracuda should be a good match for one of the smaller sharks.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Feb 4 14 6:16 AM

Hello Dr Godzilla, pleased to meet you.

Could you provide the source where you get this data (about the poison of the barracuda)? I think that is very interesting.

Also, it will be interesting if you and Pckts put some data (size, behavior, etc.) and images to give us a better idea of the duel.

Greetings.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

pckts.animaluntamed

#6 [url]

Feb 5 14 9:45 PM

GuateGojira wrote:

Hello Dr Godzilla, pleased to meet you.

Could you provide the source where you get this data (about the poison of the barracuda)? I think that is very interesting.

Also, it will be interesting if you and Pckts put some data (size, behavior, etc.) and images to give us a better idea of the duel.

Greetings.

I will provide the blue shark data, since I back it
"Blue sharks are light-bodied with long pectoral fins. Like many other sharks, blue sharks are countershaded: the top of the body is deep blue, lighter on the sides, and the underside is white. The male blue shark commonly grows to 1.82 to 2.82 m (6.0 to 9.3 ft) at maturity, whereas the larger females commonly grow to 2.2 to 3.3 m (7.2 to 10.8 ft) at maturity.[5] Large specimens can grow to 3.8 m (12 ft) long. Occasionally, an outsized blue shark is reported, with one widely printed claim of a length of 6.1 m (20 ft), but no shark even approaching this has been confirmed in this species.[5] The Blue Shark is fairly elongated and slender in build and typically weighs from 27 to 55 kg (60 to 121 lb) in males and from 93 to 182 kg (205 to 401 lb) in large females.[6][7][8] Occasionally, a female in excess of 3 m (9.8 ft) will weigh over 204 kg (450 lb). The heaviest reported weight for the species was 391 kg (862 lb).[9] The blue shark is also ectothermic."

"Although often observed cruising slowly and sluggishly the blue shark is capable of rapid movement if it is excited or feeding (6). This species will often circle its prey before moving in to attack it. Blue sharks primarily feed upon relatively small prey, such as bony fish and squid, but will also take larger prey including mammalian carrion (1)."

"The Blue shark is one of the fastest swimming sharks, and can easily keep up the pace with most fish species. The body is long, sleek and perfect for fast swimming since the water resistance becomes very small. The large caudal fin moves side-to-side and provides plenty of power to the Blue shark. It swims in a graceful manner and is strong enough to make leaps out of the water. More research is needed to confirm the maximum speed of the Blue shark. Some scientists estimate the maximum speed to be roughly 35 km/h (22 miles per hour), while others claim that the maximum speed can be as much as 97 km/h (60 miles per hour). "

Quote    Reply   

pckts.animaluntamed

#8 [url]

Feb 22 14 2:40 AM

I see nothing about barracudas being any type of poisonous. Definitely would be prey for a shark, since sharks are one of the predators listed for barracudas and not the other way around.

Quote    Reply   

pckts.animaluntamed

#10 [url]

Feb 25 14 3:03 AM

Dr Godzilla wrote:
For poison, look at the ciguatera article.

This has nothing to do with poisonous to other predators, this states that these reef fish can be poisonous to human beings if eaten.
"Ciguatera is a foodborne illness caused by eating certain reef fish"
This most certainly will not be a factor with sharks as they have some of the highest immunities in the animal kingdom.
NTM that it has not, nor will it deter a shark from preying on a barracuda if/when they catch it. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help